The following procedure must be repeated for each medication for each resident in turn.
- Check the MAR Chart to see which medications should be administered at that time.
- Find the medication to be administered, ensuring that all medication including externals and PRN medication are available.
- Check that the instructions on the label of each medication are the same as the information on the MAR Chart.
- Dispense the medication into suitable containers without handling it.
- Where necessary ask the resident their name prior to offering the medication.
- Ask the resident if they wish to take their medication including PRN items, recognising their right of refusal.
- Administer the medication, ensuring that the resident is in a position to take the medication correctly and safely.
- Never leave medication with the resident to be taken later unless they have been assessed as capable of self medication. This information is available in their care plan.
- Never administer medication that you haven't dispensed yourself.