Transfer of medicines when people move to another health or social care setting

People who receive social care may need to transfer to another care setting. This may be a permanent move but can also be a short-term solution to a problem. Transfers include:

  • Hospital admission.
  • Respite care in a social care setting.
  • Permanent move to a care home.

Transferring to another care setting

It is essential that the person's medication is sent with the person. This is to ensure continuity of care for the person. The new care service may not have all the current medication available.

When care workers are responsible for giving medicines to the person, a copy of the record of administration is also essential. This will inform the new care service which medicines have been taken regularly and whether the person refuses to take any.

When a person is transferred to another care provider you should make a record of the medicines that were sent with him/her. You should record the following information:

  • Date of transfer.
  • Name and strength of medicine.
  • Quality.
  • Signature of the member of staff who arranges the transfer of the medicines.

Returning from Hospital Stays

All people discharged from hospital should have complete documentation listing all their current medication at the time of discharge. This may have changed considerably from the medicines that were taken into hospital. It is essential that this new list is compared with the old list. The hospital will inform the person's GP but if you are responsible for the person's medicines you should:

  • Let the supplying pharmacy know the changes as soon as possible.
  • Prepare a new MAR chart.
  • Dispose of any unwanted or discontinued drugs.
  • Request a new prescription as soon as possible.
  • If you usually use MDS it may be possible to liaise with the hospital pharmacist to arrange for your usual pharmacy to dispense a new supply in your current system at the time of discharge.